182
top 36 comments
sorted by: hot top controversial new old
[-] Treczoks@lemmy.world 73 points 2 days ago

Could it be that "The Jerusalem Post" is not exactly a fair and unbiased source for this kind of news? Could they be more something like a propaganda outlet?

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 40 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Well no, they are unbiased and fair. MBFC told me so.

You have to understand this is not a "blogging site". It uses HTML and CSS and has a high credibility score on MBFC.

[-] Keeponstalin@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago

You have to understand this is not a "blogging site".

Which makes The Jerusalem Post a "real news organization" and allowed, unlike Zeteo. (At least, that's the logic of the WorldNews mods)

[-] RowRowRowYourBot@sh.itjust.works 23 points 2 days ago

Wait are you telling me that a paper that calls every single Arab shot by the IDF a terrorist might be a terrible source?

[-] riot@lemmy.world 46 points 2 days ago

Bruh. Also, if you're gonna make something up, why tf would you choose the phrasing of "combat-aged men"? Weird as hell.

[-] glowie@h4x0r.host 20 points 2 days ago

Because then it skirts past the child deaths

[-] WhatAmLemmy@lemmy.world 29 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Lol, this is legit under the actual headline:

Approximately 72% of fatalities are aged 13-55 and are men - the demographic category aligns with Hamas combatants.

This tracks with what we already know — Israel considers every Palestinian male to be "Hamas", therefore every one of them is a terrorist, therefore it's okay to indiscriminately murder them and anyone in their vicinity, who are also terrorists, otherwise why would they be hanging around Hamas?

It's an easy way to equate every Palestinian with terrorism. There are no civilian Palestinians. Only terrorists!

[-] Wobble@lemmy.dbzer0.com 1 points 2 days ago

I didnt know you could draft people into the army at 13-17 years old.

[-] f314@lemmy.world 16 points 2 days ago

It’s like barrel-aged whisky: It means they’ve spent at least 18 months in a combat-ridden environment! /s

[-] Treczoks@lemmy.world 11 points 2 days ago

Combat aged for them is probably 5+.

[-] zarkanian@sh.itjust.works 3 points 2 days ago

They'll just say that you should be blaming Hamas for recruiting soldiers so young. And then probably call you antisemitic.

[-] thatKamGuy@sh.itjust.works 23 points 2 days ago

OK, so even taking it at face value - is this a tacit admission that more than 1-in-4 of Palestinians killed by the IDF were women, children and the elderly?

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 6 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

a tacit admission that more than 1-in-4 of Palestinians killed by the IDF were women ~~children and the elderly~~?

[-] RowRowRowYourBot@sh.itjust.works 23 points 2 days ago

And this is why media bias fact check is a dogshit organization

[-] MuskyMelon@lemmy.world 19 points 2 days ago

Combat-aged men defined from 0-72 years old.

[-] Vinny_93@lemmy.world 8 points 2 days ago

And now my source of this source opening is me reading a screen capture of some dude on Lemmy

[-] RowRowRowYourBot@sh.itjust.works 11 points 2 days ago

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/author/salo-aizenberg/

http://www.saloaizenberg.com/

This is the guy. He's a banker in metro-NYC. He is in no way qualified or even capable of determining who is and is not in Hamas.

[-] Catoblepas 11 points 2 days ago

Hamas quietly removed the names of thousands of Palestinians it had previously alleged were killed during the Israel-Hamas war, Salo Aizenberg, from the US-based non-profit organisation Honest Reporting told The Telegraph on Tuesday after analyzing Hamas’s March 2025 casualty update.

Well, that was easy.

[-] homesweethomeMrL@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago

If the article is correct, it says the reporting from Hamas itself has revised it's numbers to remove a lot of women and children (leaving the 'combat-aged men' which is why that weird phrase) from the casualty reporting.

I don't know if that's true or false, I'm just saying the org in question is pointing to Hamas' own reporting, not saying they did their own.

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 13 points 2 days ago

Hamas has not revised their numbers.

Can you link to the 'Hamas source" this American org is supposedly citing? Your comment looks like a heap of misinformation.

[-] homesweethomeMrL@lemmy.world 6 points 2 days ago

Sure, here's the relevant quote from the Telegraph article about this:

The casualty lists are released as PDFs by the Hamas-run Gaza ministry of health, which has been cited by international media as a source for fatality figures in the enclave since the start of the war.

That first quote link goes to an article which says:

The authors estimate that some 64,260 people are likely to have died as a result of trauma between 7 October 2023 and 30 June 2024, a 41 per cent increase on the 37,877 deaths estimated by the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza.

So we take the Palestinian Ministry of Health as the authority here (not that guy's non-profit in the OP, which is my point). Per an AP article from Nov '23:

The ministry is the only official source for Gaza casualties. Israel has sealed Gaza’s borders, barring foreign journalists and humanitarian workers.

An article published in Jan 2025 in The Lancet says no evidence that the MoH numbers are inflated.

So if they're the only source, and the Lancet article says their numbers are trustworthy, why the lowered estimates? The OP article says:

March 2025 casualty update had removed thousands of people it previously listed as having been killed last year.

So, it'd be a matter of looking at the MoH March 2025 report and comparing it to, presumably, Feb 2025? And there's the problem - I can't find any reporting. The official site stops at 2023, and web search is enshittified to the point that I don't know how to find the actual report.

Reuters posted this story on March 1 2025 that says the Palestinian Ministry of Health's last full casualty report was in October 2024.

Which seems to be echoed by the original OP claim, "“Hamas’s new March 2025 fatality list quietly drops 3,400 fully “identified” deaths listed in its August and October 2024 reports – including 1,080 children. These “deaths” never happened" - note the Oct 2024 date there.

So - the story is about the Palestinian Ministry of Health's casualty numbers. Mainly because they're the only authoritative source for casualty numbers due to it being the only "allowed" authority to report on them.

Oh and the MoH is run by Hamas, that's the "Hamas source" part of it.

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 13 points 2 days ago

This is rather old Hasbara.

At one point Hamas released the list of fully identified Palestinian blunt trauma (bombed or shot) victims.

This means if a Palestinian child comes in without anyone knowing who it is, the blunt trauma child victim count goes +1 but the list of identified victims does not.

The reason that the official Hamas count is a heavy undercount is because it does not count victims of disease and starvation caused by Israel starving the Gaza strip.

[-] homesweethomeMrL@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago

So why did they remove so many from the count? Thousands?

How they count them isn't at issue is it?

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 8 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Because they do not know the name of the killed person.

The people have not been removed from the counted bodies list. The identified bodies list is shorter than the counted bodies list.

How does this translate to "Hamas admits 72% of those killed a combat ages males."?

New question, why do you think Jerusalem post cites some random in New York instead of Hamas' own numbers if this is their source?

[-] homesweethomeMrL@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Because they do not know the name of the killed person.

Presumably that's been in play since the start of the war. It can't be they've know the names of everyone up until last month.

From the Telegraph article: "The Hamas lists contain information such as names and ID numbers, and can be filled in by anyone with a link to the Google form for the document."

How does this translate to "Hamas admits 72% of those killed a combat ages males."?

From the Telegraph article, “The demographics are the most important thing in all this. We’ve heard the claims that about 70 per cent of the deaths are women and children, and these lists, especially the most recent, show that’s complete nonsense,”

And then: "About 72 per cent of fatalities aged 13-55 are men, which is the rough age range of Hamas combatants"

So the word "admits" is doing some unfair lifting there, but the main point of the OP article is that the MoH revised their casualty numbers by removing some 3,200 "fully identified" names, including 1,080 children.

The obvious way to check this would be to look at the actual MoH reporting - which is what I can't find anywhere. They must be somewhere but I don't know where.

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 5 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Hamas does not use 13 year olds as soldiers. This makes absolutely no sense and your comment is complete lie. It is clear you are here to spread an agenda and are not arguing in any good faith.

The Hamas list also did not change. The person from New York just made up bullshit by comparing different lists to eachother and pretending they were the same.

A google search shows they are likely using the same lie as the previous time as reports from today cite the same misinformation Zionist think tank.

[-] homesweethomeMrL@lemmy.world 4 points 2 days ago

This makes absolutely no sense and your comment is complete lie.

You mean the quoted comment.

It is clear you are here to spread an agenda and are not arguing in any good faith.

My agenda is finding those reports. My faith is good AF.

The Hamas list also did not change.

Okay, that's your claim at odds with the articles, so please show they didn't change - please just show the Palestinian Ministry of Health casualty numbers with demographics for Feb 2025 and March 2025.

I'm ready to accept that they didn't change, but I can't find them at all, that's my point. If you know where they are, link them.

My guess is that you don't know where they are and are just pissed that an Israel-supporting article is calling out stats for being false. I would be pissed too if I knew that was false.

So again, we're looking for proof of a decrease (or, as you say, no decrease - whichever it is) in Palestinian Ministry of Health casualty figures from the early part of this year, with the demographic details. Please find.

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 2 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Even quoting the article, the article is not making a valid argument. TheTelegraph saying that Hamas are 13 year old kids does not make it a useable argument in a discussion.

I have no idea what the actual numbers are. Because the previous time this stunt was pulled it was a hoax I do not feel like putting in the effort to dig through. Instead I will put slightly more effort than The Telegraph into this comment and defer the question to AI

The Palestinian Ministry of Health released a comprehensive list of identified casualties as of March 22, 2025, totaling 50,021 deaths. This figure comes from a 1,516-page document published after two months of body collection during a ceasefire that began in January 2025. The demographic breakdown of these identified fatalities is as follows: Children (under 18): 15,613 (31%)

Women: 8,304 (17%)

Elderly: 3,839 (8%)

Men: 22,265 (45%)

https://www.ochaopt.org/content/reported-impact-snapshot-gaza-strip-11-march-2025

As of April 3, 2025, there have been no widely documented or specific reports explicitly stating that certain identified bodies were missing from the Palestinian Ministry of Health’s (MoH) updated casualty list released on March 22, 2025, which included 50,021 identified deaths. However, the context of the MoH’s reporting process and the challenges in Gaza suggest potential discrepancies that could lead to such concerns. Let’s explore this based on available information and the inherent complexities of the situation. The MoH’s March 22 list was a significant update, compiled after two months of body recovery during a ceasefire that began in January 2025. This list, spanning 1,516 pages, aimed to provide a comprehensive record of identified fatalities from October 7, 2023, to March 22, 2025. It was built from hospital records, morgue data, and family submissions verified by medics and police, with efforts to restore a central database from Shifa Hospital playing a key role. However, the MoH has acknowledged that its totals—exceeding 50,000 by late March—do not include an estimated 10,000 bodies still under rubble, of which only a few dozen were recovered during the ceasefire. This gap alone indicates that not all deaths, identified or otherwise, are fully accounted for in the published list.

Also

HonestReporting, an Israeli media advocacy group founded in 2000, explicitly states its mission as combating "ideological prejudice in journalism and the media, as it impacts Israel." Its focus is on monitoring and challenging perceived anti-Israel bias in news coverage, which inherently positions it as a pro-Israel organization. This is reflected in its activities, such as analyzing media for inaccuracies or bias against Israel, providing tools to advocate for Israel, and pressuring outlets for corrections when coverage is deemed unfair to Israeli perspectives.

[-] homesweethomeMrL@lemmy.world 3 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

~~Why do the percentages not add up to 100%?~~

(Edit: oh i see, the formatting caught it.)

I don't think I can trust AI. And if you don't know the numbers, and I don't know the numbers, then we'll just leave it there.

I agree your point of calling a 13-year old a combat-age-male is ridiculous.

It still doesn't answer the questions raised, but at least we know where we are.

[-] Threeme2189@sh.itjust.works 6 points 2 days ago

Well color me surprised.

[-] missandry351@lemmings.world 3 points 2 days ago
[-] RowRowRowYourBot@sh.itjust.works 20 points 2 days ago

Salo Aizenberg is an investment banker with an office in White Plains, NY. He is not in any way a good source for what is happening on a different continent especially when determining who and who is not in Hamas is not in his skill sets.

[-] IndustryStandard@lemmy.world 13 points 2 days ago

Hamas did not say it.

A pro-Israel guy in New York said that Hamas said it.

That is enough for this very credibly newspaper to publish it as a "Hamas admission" in their headline.

[-] iusearchbtw@lemm.ee 13 points 2 days ago

so true if that gazan didn't want to die he shouldn't have been male and 14

[-] gigachad@sh.itjust.works 6 points 2 days ago* (last edited 2 days ago)

Hamas is lying all the time. This does not mean the other side is telling the truth.

this post was submitted on 03 Apr 2025
182 points (100.0% liked)

Microblog Memes

7296 readers
2202 users here now

A place to share screenshots of Microblog posts, whether from Mastodon, tumblr, ~~Twitter~~ X, KBin, Threads or elsewhere.

Created as an evolution of White People Twitter and other tweet-capture subreddits.

Rules:

  1. Please put at least one word relevant to the post in the post title.
  2. Be nice.
  3. No advertising, brand promotion or guerilla marketing.
  4. Posters are encouraged to link to the toot or tweet etc in the description of posts.

Related communities:

founded 2 years ago
MODERATORS